Casey M. Pierce, M.D.
Casey M. Pierce, MD is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon, fellowship-trained in sports medicine and arthroscopy. Dr. Pierce joined Northlands Orthopaedic Institute in 2018. He completed his 1 year fellowship training at the prestigious American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) in Birmingham, Alabama. At ASMI he polished his surgical techniques learning under world renowned mentors: Dr. James Andrews, Dr. E. Lyle Cain, Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, and Dr. Benton Emblom. In addition to surgically treating cartilage defects, ruptured tendons, and ligament disorders of the shoulder, elbow, and knee, Dr. Pierce received specialized training in the treatment of hip and pelvis injuries with Dr. Benton Emblom and Dr. Michael K. Ryan. During his tenure in Alabama, Dr. Pierce also helped care for three football teams (the University of Alabama, Samford University and Shades Valley High School), the Birmingham Barons (Chicago White Sox AA affiliate)], the WWE and the Birmingham Ballet.
Dr. Pierce was born and raised in Pasadena, California, where he was an Eagle Scout and a three-sport letterman at San Marino High School. After attending the United States Air Force Academy for one year, he obtained his BA degree from Colgate University in Hamilton, New York. His medical studies included one year at New York Medical College, one year at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado and graduation (cum laude) from St. George University. Dr. Pierce completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Seton Hall University/St Joseph’s Regional Medical Center where he served as Chief Resident.
Dr. Pierce specializes in the treatment of shoulder, elbow, hip and knee disorders. He has been trained in the most up-to-date techniques in arthroscopic and reconstructive procedures, techniques which are designed to hasten recovery times for both adult and pediatric patients and for athletes and non-athletes. Dr. Pierce also takes pride in managing injuries non-operatively whenever possible. He performs ultrasound guided PRP and stem cell injections to aid in the treatment of many conditions. In addition, Dr. Pierce is certified to perform robotic-assisted hip and knee joint replacements utilizing the Mako™ robot.
Dr. Pierce currently resides in Wayne, NJ with his wife, Dr. Daniella Montemurro (an OBGYN physician at Mountainside Medical Center), and their two young children, Christopher and Adalyn.
- Undergraduate: United States Air Force Academy. 2000-2001 - Colorado Springs, CO; Colgate University. 2001-2005 (Biology Major) - Hamilton, NY
- Medical School: New York Medical College. 2005-2006; St. George's University School of Medicine. 2007-2011 (Cum Laude)- Grenada West Indies
- Post Graduate Training: Steadman Clinic. 2011-2012 - Vail, CO
- Residency: Seton Hall-St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center. 2012-2017
- Mentor: Vincent K. Mcinerney, MD
- Fellowship: American Sports Medicine Institute. 2017- 2018
- Mentors: James Andrews MD, Lyle Cain MD, Jeff Dugas MD, Benton Emblom MD, Michael K. Ryan
- Philippon MJ, LaPrade RF, Briggs KB, Pierce CM, Stull JD. Prevalence of acetabular labral tears in asymptomatic young athletic subjects. A prospective investigation using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). AOSSM 2012 Annual Meeting, Baltimore MD July 15, 2012.
- Pierce CM, ❑'Brien L, Griffin LW, Laprade RF. Posterior cruciate ligament tears: functional and postoperative rehabilitation. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013 May;21(5):1071-1084.
- Pierce CM, LaPrade RF, Wahoff M, O'Brien L, Philippon Mi. Ice hockey goaltender: rehabilitation, including on-ice progression, post arthroscopic hip surgery for femoroacetabular impingement. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2013 Mar;43(3):129-141.
- Padalecki JR, Jansson KS, Smith SD, Doran G, Pierce CM, Wijdicks CA, LaPrade RF. Biomechanical Consequences of a Complete Radial Tear Adjacent to the Meidal Menisucs Posterior Root Attachment Site. Am J Sports Med. 2014 Mar;42(3):699-707.
- Longacre MK, Pierce CM, Selverian 5, Hammoud S, Niiler T, Atanda A. Motivation and Perception of Sport Participation in Young Athletes and Their Parents. Submitted for publication.
- Pierce CM, Scilia A, Issa K, Festa A, Boylan M, McInerney VK. National Trends in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty in America: A Nationwide Database Study From 1998 to 2010. Surg Technol Int. 2016 Oct 26;XXIX:240-246.
- Goljan P, Pierce CM, Scilia A, Festa A, Patel D, McInerney VK, Feagin JA. The Most Cited Original Articles Regarding Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries in the Past 20 Years. Submitted for publication.
- Pierce TP, Pierce CM, Issa K, McInerney VK, Festa A, Scillia Ai. A Single-Incision Technique for Distal Biceps Repair Using a Flexible Reamer. Orthopedics. 2017 Jul 1;40(4):e744-e748.
- Pierce TP, Pierce CM, Issa K, McInerney VK, Festa A, Scillia Al. Arthroscopic Piriformis Release-A Technique for Sciatic Nerve Decompression. Arthrosc Tech. 2017 Feb 6;6(1):e163-e166.